WQT and Offset Programs by State
Table of Contents
The following maps may only be re-used with permission. Please inquire with Mark Kieser for use (Contact Us)
Trading Programs at State Level
State Trading Programs
- Pinto Creek - Carlotta Copper Case:
- Contra Costa County Alternative Compliance System (In development):
- Laguna De Santa Rosa Watershed Water Quality Trading:
- (2020) Water Quality Trading Framework Update: 2020 Water Quality Trading Framework Update
- (2020) Regional Water Board Resolution (City of Santa Rosa):Order No. R1-2020-0012
- (2020) Regional Water Board Resolution (Town of Windsor): Order No. R1-2020-0010
- (2020) Regional Water Board Public Hearing on Water Quality Trading Framework Updates: Regional Water Board's Agenda Webpage
- (2018) Water Quality Trading Framework for the Laguna de Santa Rose Watershed
Lake Tahoe Lake Clarity Crediting Program:
- Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board: Lahontan Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- (2015) Program Handbook Version 2: Program Handbook V2
- (2014) Performance report: Performance Report: Lake Tahoe TMDL Program.
- (2011): Program Handbook Version 1 Program Handbook V1: Lake Clarity Crediting.
- 2008: Opportunity Report: TMDL Pollutant Reduction.
- 2007: Feasibility Analysis: Basin Characterization and Assessment of Exemplary Programs for Water Quality Crediting and Trading.
- 2004: Proposal to EPA: "Market Based Tools for Air and Water Pollutant Load Reduction to Protect Lake Tahoe Clarity."
Sacramento River Development of Mercury Offset Program:
- Mercury offset program: Mercury Offset Program: Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District.
2011 Merucy Control Project: Staff Report
- San Joaquin Valley Grassland Area Farmers Tradable Loads Program -Grassland Area Farmers Tradable Loads Program: Grassland Bypass Compliance Monitoring. -EPA Editorial EPA success story.
(2004) Colorado State Pollutant Trading Policy: Colorado Pollutant Trading Policy.
Chatfield Reservoir Water Quality Trading:
Cherry Creek Basin Phosphorus Credit Trading:
- Program Summary: Program Description.
- (2010) Annual report: Annual Report on Activities: Cherry Creek Basin Water Quality Authority.
- (2008) Cherry Creek Basin Nonpoint Source Phosphorus Trading: Nonpoint Source Phosphorus Trading in the Cherry Creek Reservoir Watershed in Colorado. (2008). Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering.
- EPA Case Study on Cherry Creek: Case Study: Watershed-Based Permitting in the Cherry Creek Reservoir Drainage Basin, CO.
- (2000) Phosphporus Credit Trading Report: Phosphorus Credit Trading in the Cherry Creek Basin: An Innovative Approach to Achieving Water Quality Benefits.
Bear Creek Phosphorus Trading :
- (2005) Bear Creek Watershed Contorl Regulation: Watershed Control Regulation: Department of Public Health and Environment, Water Quality Control Commission.
- Dillon Reservoir Water Quality Trading:
- Project Summary: Program Description.
- State of Connecticut Nitrogen Credit Exchange for Long Island Sound
- Nitrogen Exchange Program Fact Sheet: Nitrogen Program Fact Sheet.
- Nitrogen Credit Exchange Webpage: CT DEP Webpage
- Program Description: Program Description.
- Factsheet: Factsheet.
- (2019) General Permit for Nitrogen Dischargers: [2019-2023 General Permit for Nitrogen Dischargers]
- (2014) 2003-2014 Reports: Reports. (https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DEEP/water/municipal_wastewater/2019NITROGENPERMITpdf.pdf)
- (2005) Case Study: “Connecticut Nitrogen Exchange Credit Program.” Ann Powers, Pace Law School.
- (2002) Legislation: Public Act 01-180: An Act Concerning Nitrogen Reduction in Long Island Sound.
Lower Delaware River Basin Water Quality Trading:
- (2006) Report: "Water Quality Trading in the Lower Delaware River Basin: A Resource for Practitioners."
Inland Bays Watershed:
- Indian River and Bay, Rehoboth Bay, Little Assawoman Bay Watersheds:
- (2008) Regulation: 7403 Regulations Governing the Pollution Control Strategy.
Florida Water Quality Credit Trading Legislation:
Lake Okeechobee Watershed:
- (2017) Research Paper: Water Quality Trading Opportunities in Two Sub-Watersheds in the Northern Lake Okeechobee Watershed
- (2015) Research Paper: Modeling a Phosphorus Credit Trading Program in the Lake Okeechobee Watershed
Lower St. Johns River Basin:
- Presentation on Trading in St. Johns River Basin: Florida's Water Quality Trading
- Case Studies:
- (2009):Upper Kissammee Basin Case Study: “Just Add Water
Water Quality Factsheets and Feasibility Papers:
- (2019)Factsheet: Georgia Water Quality Trading Factsheet
- (2006) Feasibility Paper: Building a Foundation for Water Quality Trading in Georgia. Kristin Rowles, Ronald G. Cummings, and Laura O. Taylor. Georgia State University - Final Report.
- (2005) Feasibility Paper: An Evaluation of Water Quality Trading for Georgia Watersheds. Kristen Rowles, Proceedings of the Georgia Water Resources Conference, held April 25-27, 2005 at the University of Georgia.
- (2005) Feasibility Paper: A Feasibility Analysis of Applying Water Quality Trading in Georgia Watersheds. Kristin Rowles, Georgia State University.
- (2005) Feasibility Paper: Water Quality Trading: Addressing two Potential Impediments to Success. Nanette Nelson and Andrew Keeler. Proceedings of the 2005 Georgia Water Resources Conference, held April 25-27, 2005 at the University of Georgia.
- (2003) Feasibility Paper: Developing Offset Banking Systems in Georgia.
Coosa Basin Watershed
- (2013)Feasibility Paper: Nutrient Trading in the Coosa Basin: A Feasibility Study
Lake Allatoona Watershed:
- (2003) A Framework for Trading Phosphorus Credits in the Lake Allatoona Watershed: River Basin Center Report.
- Case Studies:
- (2009) Examining the Effects of Ecological and Political Boundaries on the Potential for Water Quality Trading: Lessons from a Southeastern Trading Framework. D.A. Keiser, J.D. Mullen, J.C. Bergstrom, N.B. Smith, D.E. Radcliffe, M.L. Risse, and L.A. Fowler.
- (2021): News Article: Idaho Legislation would establish Voluntary Water Quality Trading Program
- (2016) Updated Water Quality Trading Guidance: Water Quality Trading Guidance.
- (2010) Pollutant Trading Guidance: Pollutant Trading Guidance**.
Upper Snake Rock Watershed
- Upper Snake Rock Watershed Water Quality Trading Framework: Appendix A-Water Quality Trading Framework
Lower Boise River:
- (2002) Status Report: Status Report
- (2001) Status Report: Status Report
- (2000) Status Report: Lower Boise River Effluent Trading Demonstration Project
Big and Little Wood Rivers Watershed:
(2020) Boise Wastewater
- Idaho Case Studies:
- (2004) Research paper A New Approach to Water Quality Trading
- (2003) Assessment: Blaine County Evaluation and Assessment of Nitrogen Sources
Piasa Creek Watershed:
Big Bureau Creek Watershed:
- The Wetlands Initiative Nutrient Credit Trading Markets Webpage: Nutrient Credit Trading Markets.
- (2016) Factsheet: Growing Wetlands for Clean Water: Farmers Now Putting Wetlands in the Ground
- (2014) Feasibility Assessment: Feasibility Assessment of a Nutrient Trading Market in the Big Bureau Creek Watershed.
- Illinois Case Studies:
Indiana Nutrient Reduction Strategy Framework Document: A Framework to Reduce Nutrients entering Indiana's Waters
Ohio River Basin Water Quality Trading: Webpage: Water Quality Credits
- Wabash River Watershed:
Watershed Planning Advisory Council: Iowa Department of Agriculture.
Iowa Nutrient Reduction Exchange
Iowa Feasibility Assessment Studies
Raccoon River Watershed, Walnut Creek, Boone River Watershed Feasibility Study The Allocation of Nutrient Load Reduction Across a Watershed
- (2010) Water Quality Trading and Wetland Banking: Water Quality Trading and Wetland Banking: Lessons for Iowa.
Cheney Lake Watershed
- Kansas Feasibility Assessment Studies
- (2009) Research Paper: [Assessment Environmental Equivalents for Water Quality Trading](- Iowa Market Feasibility Assessment Studies)
- (2005) Research Paper: Water Quality Trading Simulation for Northeast Kansas.
Ohio River Basin Water Quality Trading: Webpage: Water Quality Credits
Kentucky River Watershed:
- (2014) Kentucky Division of Water Nutrient Management Strategy: Nutrient Management Strategy
- Kentucky Feasibility Assessment Studies
- (2011) Research Paper: Non-Point Source Abatement Costs in the Kentucky River Watershed.
- (2011) Study:Assessment of Market-based Water Quality Trading System for the Kentucky River Watersheds
Maryland Water Quality Trading Program:
- Maryland Department of the Environment: Water Quality Trading: Water Quality Trading Home.
- (2020) Maryland Water Quality Trading Updated Guidance: Updated Guidance
- (2016) EPA Chesapeake Bay Trading and Offset: Trading and Offsets
- (2011) Water Quality Trading Video: Video
- (2008) Original Guidelines for Agricultural Credit Sellers: Agricultural Credit Sellers
- (2008) Original Guidelines for Agricultural Credit Buyers: Agricultural Credit Buyers.
- (2008) Water Quality Trading Policy: Policy for Nutrient Cap Management and Trading
- Maryland Water Quality Trading Papers:
Charles River Watershed:
- (2014) Final Report for Phosphorus Trading Progam: Final Report: CRWA Online Phosphorus Trading System.
- Massachusetts White Paper:
- Kalamazoo River:
-Minnesota Pollution Control Agency:
- Minnesota Pollutaion Control Agency Water Quality Trading Webpage: Water Quality Trading
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Water Quality Standards: Water Quality Standards.
- (2014) Legislation: MN Session Laws Ch.237
- (2009) Paper: A Scientifically Defensible Process for the Exchange of Pollutant Credits under Minnesota's Proposed Water Quality Trading Rules
- (2008) Pre-TMDL Phosphorus Trading Permitting Strategy.
- (2008) Notice: Pre-TMDL Phosphorus Trading Permitting Strategy.
- (1997) Paper: Pollutant Trading for Water Quality Improvement: A Policy Evaluation
Watson Partners and the Southern Minnesota Sugar Beet Cooperative**:**
- (2011) Project Summary: Phosphorus Trading
Minnesota River Basin:
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Website: General Phosphorus Permit
USDA Conservation Innovation Grant:
- (2006): Improving Conservation and Agricultural Economics with Water Quality Credit Trading and the BMP Challenge.
Lower Minnesota River:
Vermillion River Thermal Trading:
- Vermillion River Watershed Webpage: Thermal Credit Trading System (includes links to Project findings and methods): Targeted Watershed Grant.
- (2008): Maps of Termal Credit Potential: Maps of Thermal Credit Potential.
- (2007): Report: Thermal trading in a Local, State, and Federal Regulatory Context: the Vermillion River.
- Case Studies:
- Minnesota Case Study: Environmental Flexibility in Action: A Minnesota Case Study: Policy Study 265.
- (2013) Water Quality Trading on the Minnesota River Case Study: Lessons Learned from the Jordan Trading Program
- (2007) Minnesota River Case Study: Point-Nonpoint Source Water Quality Trading:A Case Study in the Minnesota River Basin
- (2003) Minnesota Pollutant Trading Case StudyPollutant Trading to Offset New Pollutant Loadings
- Missouri Water Quality Trading
- (2016) Water Quality Trading Framework.
- (2015) Presentation: Opportunities for Trading in Missouri
- (2013) CIG Report: Nutrient Trading in Missouri: Critical Policy Factors and Program Recommendations
Montana State Nutrient Trading
- Montana Case Studies
- (2014) Report:Water Quality Trading Business Case for Montana
Truckee River Quality Settlement Agreement:
- Las Vegas Wash:
- (2011) Monitoring and Assessment Plan: Las Vegas Wash Surface Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Plan
- Non Tidal Passaic River Basin Water Quality Trading Project:
- 2013: Development and Water Quality Model Validation of a Phosphorus Trading Program for the Non-Tidal Passaic River Basin
- (2007) Presentation: Non-Tidal Passaic River Basin Water Quality Trading Project
- (2004) Project Summary: Water Quality Trading Program.
- Phosphorus Offset Program
- (1998) Permanent Phosphorus Offset Progams Rule: Phosphorus Offset Pilot Program.
North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality Nutrient Crediting
- North Carolina Nutrient Offset Credit Trading Legislation: Nutrient Offset Credit Trading Legislation
- North Carolina Department of Environmenatl Quality Webpage: Nutrient Crediting
- 2014 Standard Procedures for Nutrient Crediting: Standard Procedures for the Purchase & Sale of Nutrient Credits
Tar Pamlico River Basin:
- Cape Fear River:
Ohio Water Quality Trading:
- 2018 2018 Revision to Water Quality Trading Legislation: Water Quality Trading Legislation.
- 2012 2012 Revision to Water Quality Trading Legislation: Ohio Administrative Code: Chapter 3745-5: Water Quality Trading (2012 Revision).
- Ohio EPA Water Quality Trading Webpage: Ohio EPA Water Quality Trading Website.
Great Miami River Watershed:
- Operations Manual: Water Quality Trading Program: Operations Manual
- Factsheet: Great Miami Water Quality Trading Factsheet
- (2012) Research Paper: An Ex Post Evaluation of Ohio's Great Miami Water Quality Trading Program.
- (2012) Research Paper: Chapter 75: Moving Upstream: _Collaborative Leadership in Water Quality Improvement
- (2008) Feasibility Study: An Economic Comparison of USDA-NRCS EQIP Payments and Water Quality Trading in the Great Miami River Watershed in Ohio. Kieser & Associates.
- (2004) Feasibility Study: Preliminary Economic Analysis Study. (2004). Kieser & Associates.__
Little Miami River:
- Project Summary: Little Miami River Project Summary.
Sugar Creek Watershed:
Ohio River Basin:
- Case Studies:
- (2008) Presentation: Community-Based Water Quality Trading: the Potential for Columbus, OH. Richard Moore, Ohio State University.
State of Oregon Water Quality Trading:
- (2016): Internal Management Directive: Oregon DEQ on Water Quality Trading.
- (2012): Internal Management Directive: Water Quality Trading in NPDES Permits.
- (2012): Senate Bill 1511 (regarding Ecosystem Services). Regular Session of the 76th Oregon Legislative Assembly.
- Water Quality Statutes: Chap 468B.
Clean Water Services:
- Webpage: Willamette Partnership & Newsletters.
- (2012) Guidance: In It Together: A How-To Reference for Building Point-Nonpoint Water Quality Trading Programs.
- (2012) Opportunities for Action: Recommendations Supporting the Next Iteration of Point-Nonpoint Water Quality Trading Programs.
- Guidance Ecosystem Marketplace Development.
- Guidance Watershed Improvement Strategies.
- White PaperPractitioner's Working Group.
- (2006) Presentation: Conservation Markets Roundtable Presentations.
- (2006) Article: Ecosystem Marketplace Article.
Portland Tradable Stormwater Credits:
- King County:
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Nutrient Credit Trading:
- (2017) Nutrient Credit Clearinghouse Version 8: Version 8
- (2014) Nutrient Credit Clearinghouse Version 7: Version 7, Version 7. (June 2014).
- (2013) Compliance Cost Study: Chesapeake Bay Nutrient Reduction Targets. (2013). Legislative Budget and Finance Committee.
- (2013) Senate Bill No. 994. "Major Watershed Improvement Act." Pennsylvania General Assembly
- (2010) Final Report: "The Wissahickon Creek Municipal Sediment Credit System."
- (2010) Establishing a Clearinghouse to Reduce Impediments to Water Quality Trading.
- (2009) CCX Final Report: Outline for PENNVEST's Role as Nutrient Credit Clearinghouse in Pennsylvania's Water Quality Nutrient Credit Market. To request this publication, contact Michael Walsh (Exec. VP) or Jeffery O'Hara (Economist).
- (2009) Lawsuit: Borough of Bedford et al. v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- (2008) Journal: "Pennsylvania Geology" (vol. 38, no. 1).
- (2007) Article: Ready to Trade: PA Approves Policy to Exchange Nutrients.
- (2007) Pennsylvania's Nutrient Trading Program: Legal Issues & Challenges.
- (2006) Policy and Guidelines Final Trading of Nutrient and Sediment Reduction Credits.
- Appendix: Appendix: Nutrient Trading Criteria Specific for the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Attachment 1: Point Source Allocation Strategy.
- Attachment 2: Overview of Wastewater Planning Program Procedures.
- Attachment 3: Overview of the Agriculture Sector’s participation in Nutrient Trading.
- (2006) Factsheet: Primer on Water Quality Trading in the Mid Atlantic Region.
- (2003) Nutrient Credit Trading for Watershed Improvement: 2003 PA Discussion Paper.
- (2013) Article: "Pennsylvania’s Nutrient Trading Bill Pledges To Reduce Cost And Improve Results, But Will It Work?" (2013). Kelli Barrett. Forest Trends: Ecosystem Marketplace.
- (2013)Article: "Competitive Procurement Programs Can Help Heal the Chesapeake Bay." (2013). Jeremy Rowland. Conservation Leadership Counsel.
- Bion Environmental Technologies & Kreider Farms:
- Project Summary: Project Overview
- (2016) Article: “Legislation Introduced In Pennsylvania House And Senate To Implement Competitive Procurement To Help Meet Chesapeake Bay Mandates.” (2016). Bion Environmental Technologies Inc.
- (2012) Article: “Bion’s Nutrient Credit Verification Plan and Full Water Quality Management Permit for Kreider Dairy Farm System Approved by Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.” (August 2012). Bion Environmental Technologies Inc.
- (2008) Article: "Bion Announces Approval From Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection for Both Its Nutrient Credit Calculation and Comprehensive Multi-Media Measurement Protocols." (20 May 2008). Bion Environmental Technologies Inc.
- (2007) Journal Article: Pennsylvania's Nutrient Trading Program: Legal Issues and Challenges. S. Showalter and S. Spigener.
- (2002) Journal Article: Point/nonpoint nutrient trading in the Susquehanna River Basin. Richard Horan, James Shortle, David Abler. Water Resources Research 38 (5): 1050.
- (2012) Article: The Use of Restored Wetlands in Western Tennessee to Reduce Nutrient and Sediment Loading Through Water Quality Trading. (2012). The Nature Conservancy, Applied Ecological Services, Inc., and Kieser & Associates, LLC.
Beaver Creek Watershed:
- (2006) Plan: Watershed Restoration Plan
- Feasiblity Study:
- (2017) Feasibility Study: Assessing the Feasibility of Nutrient-related Water Quality Trading in Tennessee
- (2017) Feasibility Study: Assessing the Feasibility of Nutrient-related Water Quality Trading in Tennessee
- Case Studies:
- (1999): Effluent Trading: A policy review for Texas. Center for Public Leadership Studies.
- Bear River Watershed:
- (2004) Proposal to Develop WQT: Targeted Watershed Grant to develop trading.
- Grant Proposal: Proposal: "Nomination of the Tri State Bear River Basin for the US EPA Watershed Initiative Program."
- Water Quality Trading Model: Water Quality Model used to determine amount of tradable pollutants.
- Study: Conclusions of Water Quality Trading Study.
- Feasibility Studies:
- (2015) Feasibility Study: Assessing Market-Based Approaches for Phosphorus Reductions in the Vermont portion of the Lake Champlain Basin. (30 September 2015). Kieser & Associates, LLC & Tetra Tech, Inc.
Virginia State Legislation and Programs
- General Permit: VPDES Watershed General Permit for nutrient Discharges to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Nutrient Credit Exchange Association Webpage: Nutrient Credit Exchange Association, Inc.
- Regulation: Virginia Administrative Code: Chapter 820. "General Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) Watershed Permit Regulation for Total Nitrogen and Total Phosphorus Discharges and Nutrient Trading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed in Virginia."
- (2017) Legislation: Nutrient Credits in the Virginia Assembly: Annotated with links to provisions, provided by Virginia Water Central News Grouper.
- (2012) Fact Sheet: Fact Sheet. Commonwealth of Virginia State Water Control Board: Modification of a General VPDES Permit to Discharge to State Waters and State Certification Under the State Water Control Law.
- (2012) Deliverative Draft: Deliberative Draft for Discussion: "Uncertainty Related to Nutrient Offsets and Trading in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed - Summary of Terminology and Definitions in Policies and Regulations."
- (2010) Chesapeake Bay TMDL: Phase I Watershed Implementation Plan.
- (2008) Guidance: Trading Nutrient Reductions from Nonpoint Source Best Management Practices in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed: Guidance for Agricultural Landowners and Your Potential Trading Partners." (2008). Virginia Department of Environmental Protection.
- (2007) Guidance: Guidance Memo No. 07-2008, Amendment No. 2: "Permitting considerations for facilities in the Chesapeake Bay watershed."
- Case Studies and Research:
- (2017) Study: Water Quality Trading Without Trades: An Analysis into the Lack of Agricultural Nonpoint Source Credit Demand in Virginia. (2017). Kurt Stephenson and Leonard Shabman. Selected Paper prepared for presentation at the Southern Agricultural Economics Association’s Annual Meeting, Mobile, Alabama, February 4-7, 2017.
- (2008) Study: Analysis of Nutrient Removal Costs in the Chesapeake Bay Program and Implications for the Mississippi-Atchafalaya River Basin. Stephen R. Harper, Daniel Coleman, Daniel Tobocman, Dan Wilkinson, Leigh-Ann Bender. Submitted to Water Environment Federation for 2008 WEFTEC Conference in Chicago, IL.
- (2006) Study: An Evaluation of Virginia's Nutrient Credit Trading Program. K. Stephenson, S. Aultman, and L. Shabman.
- (2009) Study: Nutrient Trading Options in Virginia: A Role for Agriculture.
- (2007) Study: Analyzing Cost Implications of Water Quality Trading Provisions.: Lessons from the Virginia Nutrient Credit Exchange Act.
- (2006) Evaluation: Evaluation of the Virginia's Nutrient Credit Trading Program. Kurt Stephenson, Stephen Aultman, and Leonard Shabman. Paper Prepared for presentation at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting. July 23-26, 2006: Long Beach, CA.
- Nutrient Credit Exchange Study: Nutrient Credit Exchange Study
Washington State Water Quality Trading
- (2010) WQT Draft Framework: Washington State Water Quality Trading Framework
Spokane River Watershed:.
- (2005) Water Quality Trading Suitability Analysis: Final Report.
- Case Studies:
- (2008) “Water Quality Trading and Advanced Treatment Technology to Meet the Lowest Phosphorus Requirements in the Nation.” Clark, David L., Keil, David P., Murray, Michael R., Neethling, JB, Rawls, N. Bruce, and Moss, David. WEFTEC. Session 11 - 20: 967-988(22). Abstract.
- (2005) “Water Quality Trading Suitability Analysis - Spokane River Watershed Final Report.” Ross & Associates. (Pdf).
Washington D.C. (District of Columbia)
Washington D.C. Stormwater Retention Credit Trading Program Website.
- (2013) Regulation: Notice of Final Rule Making: Stormwater Management, and Soil Erosion and Sediment Control. District Department of the Environment (DDOE).
- (2013) Stormwater Management Guidebook: Stormwater Management Guidebook. Prepared by: Center for Watershed Protection, for: District Department of the Environment, Watershed Protection Division.
- Chesapeake Stormwater Network:
- The District Department of the Environment (DDOE) finalized a new regulatory framework for stormwater management by large development sites in the District of Columbia. The new regulations were published in the DC Register on Friday, July 19, 2013.
- DC Stormwater Regulations and Federal Facilities Webcast Presentation.
- Regulations and Guidebook: New Regulations and Guidebook: Overview.
- Generation and Certification: Generation and Certification of Stormwater Retention Credits.
- Quantification spreadsheet: Spreadsheet Instructions.
- Spreadsheet instructions: MS4 Permit.
- (2012) Guidance: Guidance for Developing an Off-Site Stormwater Compliance Program in West Virginia. Prepared by: Center for Watershed Protection, Inc., for: West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection.
Potomac River Watershed:
- (2010) Report: Final Report: "WV Potomac Nutrient Credit Bank and Trade Program: NRCS Conservation Innovation Grant."
- (2009) WV Water Quality Nutrient Credit Trading Program Guidance.
- (2008) Draft Trading Guidance Documents: Water Quality Bank and Trade Program
- (2008) Report:Final Report: "TMDL for Selected Streams in the Potomac Watershed."
- Trading in Potomac River: Brochure.
Coal River Watershed:
- (2006) Report: TMDL for Selected Streams in the Coal Watershed.
- (2015) EPA Study: West Virginia's Trading and Offset Programs Review Observation
- (2012) Feasibility Study: A Feasibility Assessment of Water Quality Trading in the Greenbrier River Watershed, West Virginia
Wisconsin State Water Quality Trading Program
- (2020) WQT Clearinghouse Legislation: Wisconsin Act 151
- (2020) WQT Guidance: Guidance for Implementing Water Quality Trading in WPDES Permits Edition 2
- (2013):WQT Manual A Water Quality Trading How To Manual. WI DNR.
- (2011) WQT Framework: Water Quality Trading Framework for Wisconsin. WI DNR.
Fox-Wolf Lake Alliance:
- (2015) Lower Fox River Basin Water Quality Trading Economic Feasibility Assessment. (16 Jan 2015). Kieser & Associates, XCG, and Troutman Sanders.
- Program summary:Program Description.
Rock River Partnership
- Case Studies:
- (2019): Policy Analysis: Wisconsin 's Green Fire Policy Analysis: 2019 Senate Bill 91, Legisliation to Buy and Sell Water Pollution Credits through a Central Clearinghouse
- (2003) Pilot Case Study: Lessons Learned from the Trading Pilots: Applications for Wisconsin Water Quality Trading Policy. (2003). Resource Strategies, Inc. for Fox-Wolf Watershed Alliance.
- Bear River Watershed
- Webpage with contact for WQT Program Development: Bear River Watershed Information System
- Upper Green River Basin Ecosystem Services:
- (2011) Feasibility Analysis: Feasibility Analysis Project Report. (December 2011). Esther A. Duke, Amy Pocewicz, and Steve Jester. The Nature Conservancy.
Interstate Trading Programs:
Chesapeake Bay Program
- Program Description.
Ecosystem Services and Environmental Markets in Chesapeake Bay Restoration.
2016: Technical Memoranda: Trading and Offsets in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed TMDL.
2001: Nutrient Trading Fundamental Principles and Guidelines. (2001). Chesapeake Bay Program.
- 2014: Local Water Quality Protection when Using Credits for NPDES Permit Issuance and Compliance: EPA Tech. Memorandum.
- 2013: Components of Credit Calculation: EPA Technical Memorandum.
- 2009: Evaluation Framework for Water Quality Trading Programs in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- 2009: Cost and Cost Efficiencies for some Nutrient Reduction Practices in Maryland.
- 2001: Nutrient Trading for the Chesapeake Bay.
State Pages & WIP's:
- District of Columbia:
- 2010 WIP: "Chesapeake Bay TMDL Watershed Implementation Plan [WIP]."
- New York:
- 2010 WIP: "Final Phase I Nutrient and Sediment Water Quality Improvement and Protection Plan."
- West Virginia:
Additional Reports & Studies:
- (2012): Report: "Nutrient Credit Trading for the Chesapeake Bay: An Economic Study."
- (2012): Report: "Accounting for Transaction Costs in Point/Nonpoint Water Quality Trading Programs in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed."
- (2010): Executive Order: "Strategy for Protecting and Restoring the Chesapeake Bay Watershed."
- (2010): Newsletter: "Bay Bank - The Chesapeake's Conservation Marketplace" (The Pinchot Letter, Vol.15, No.1).
- (2010): Working Paper: "How Baywide Nutrient Trading Could Benefit Virginia Farms" (WRI).
- (2010): Working Paper: "How Nutrient Trading Could Help Restore the Chesapeake Bay" (WRI).
- (2009): Study: "Evaluation Framework for the Water Quality Trading Programs in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed."
- (2009): Testimony: "Testimony of J. Charles Fox, Senior Advisor to Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Before the Subcommittee on Conservation, Credit, Energy, and Research Committee on Agriculture, U.S. House of Representatives."
- (2009): Testimony: "Statement by Ann Mills, Deputy Under Secretary, Natural Resources and Environment, US Department of Agriculture, Before the Subcommittee on Conservation, Credit, Energy, and Research, Committee on Agriculture, US House of Representatives."
- (2009): Bill: "Chesapeake Clean Water and Ecosystem Restoration Act of 2009."
- (2007): Analysis: "Bay Bank Baseline Analysis: Regulatory Drivers of Ecosystems Markets in the Chesapeake Bay" Conducted by Environmental Law Institute for the Pinchot Institute for Conservation.
- (2005): Article "Nutrient Credit Trading: The New Bay Cleanup Tool."
- Workshop Proceedings:
- (2013): "Technical Memorandum: Local Water Quality Protection" Trading and Offsets Work Group Presentation.
- (2012): 2013 "EPA Chesapeake Bay Trading and Offsets Workplan" DRAFT Workplan.
- (2012): "Chesapeake Bay Program: Trading and Offsets Workgroup (TOWG) Conference Call" Minutes.
- (2001): Nutrient Trading Public Workshop - Public Comments Summary.
- (1998): "Nutrient Trading to maintain Nutrient Cap in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed" Workshop Proceedings.