EPA & USDA Programs
Table of Contents
EPA & USDA Collaborations on WQT
Water Quality Trading Roadmap Tool: The Roadmap is an online resource from USDA & US EPA that provides information on water quality trading in one searchable database.
Aug 1, 2016: “EPA and USDA Pledge Actions to Support America’s Growing Water Quality Trading Markets.” Full Article.
Dec 3, 2013: “USDA, EPA Partnership Supports Water Quality Trading To Benefit Environment, Economy.” Full Article.
US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Regulations & Guidance:
- Significant Guidance Documents for Water.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Water Quality Trading.
- 2014: EPA’s Water Technology Innovation Blueprint: Ten Market Opportunities and Full Report.
- 2013: Senate Hearing: EPA Says Water Quality Trading Consistent With Clean Water Act.
- 2009: Water Quality Trading Toolkit for Permit Writers.
- 2008: Water Quality Trading Evaluation: Final Report.
- 2007: Wetlands and Water Quality Trading: Review of Current Science and Economic Practices with Selected Case Studies.
- 2006: TMDL Implementation: Characteristics of Successful Projects.
- 2004: EPA Water Quality Trading Assessment Handbook.
- 2003: EPA's Final Water Quality Trading Policy: Federal Register Issuance.
- 1999: Summary of U.S. Effluent Trading and Offset Projects. Environomics for US EPA Office of Water.
1999: Results of Water-Based Trading Simulation. Chuck Marshall, for Office of Science and Technology.
- State Development of Numeric Criteria for Nitrogen and Phosphorus Pollution.
- State Adoption of Numeric Nutrient Standards: (1998 - 2008).
2. EPA Watershed-based NPDES Permitting Webpage:
- NPDES Water Quality Trading: Basics and Policy.
NPDES Water Quality Trading: Frequently Asked Questions.
- Long Island Sound (Connecticut): General Permit for Nitrogen Discharges.
- Rahr Malting Company (Minnesota): Final Permit.
- Neuse River Compliance Association (North Carolina): Final Permit.
- Tualitan River Watershed (Oregon): NPDES Permits.
- Chesapeake Bay Watershed (Virginia): Watershed-based general permit for nutrient discharges and trading.
- 2005: EPA webcast seminar: Introduction to Trading for Water Quality Protection.
- EPA Water Quality Trading Newsletters.
3. Additional EPA Publications & Links:
- Compensatory Mitigation (Clean Water Act Section 404): Webpage.
- 2011: EPA Memorandum: Achieving Water Quality through Integrated Municipal Storm/Wastewater Plans.
- 2011: Improving Our Regulations: A Preliminary Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations. US EPA.
- 2011: Comments from the Institute for Policy Integrity, NY, on EPA’s Preliminary Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations.
- 2014: Progress Report for the Final Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations .
- 2016: Progress Report for the Final Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations.
- 2010: Nutrient Control Design Manual. United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA). EPA/600/R-10/100.
Targeted Watershed Grant (TWG) Program
TWG Program Home Page
US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Web Resources for Environmental Markets
- Understanding Environmental Markets
- Water Quality Markets
- Resources for Producers and Landowners
- Resources for States and Localities
- Quantification Tools
- Other Market Resources
June 2015: Building a Water Quality Trading Program: Options and Considerations, Version 1.0: Point-Nonpoint Trades. A Product of the National Network on Water Quality Trading, with USDA as a technical advisor.
USDA Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG) Program:
USDA NRCS Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) Home Page
USDA Farm Bill
- USDA Farm Bill Webpage
- 2014 Agriculture Act
- Conservation Measures (including market-based incentives)
- Resources: Northeast Midwest Institution
Additional USDA Publications & Links
- Water Quality Trading: Social and Legal Issues.